Allurion launches its world-leading weight management solution in India
New Delhi, 06 Sep 2022:
Allurion, a company dedicated to ending obesity, has launched the Allurion Swallowable Capsule in India - the only medical weight-loss device fully approved by the Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO), the national regulatory authority of India overseen by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare’s Directorate General of Health Services.
The Allurion Swallowable Capsule, backed by the comprehensive Allurion Program
- The Allurion Swallowable Capsule – the world's first and only procedureless* gastric balloon for weight loss.
- The Allurion Virtual Care Suite (VCS), powered by the Allurion Iris AI platform and featuring the Allurion Mobile App, Connected Scale and Health Tracker to provide real-time insights to both patients and healthcare practitioners.
Dr. Shantanu Gaur founded Allurion with one goal: end obesity. After completing his undergraduate studies at Harvard University, Dr. Gaur founded the company while completing his medical studies at Harvard Medical School in 2009.
Together with his partner and former Harvard professor Dr. Ram Chuttani, he developed the vision for the Allurion Program.
At the core of the Allurion Program is the Allurion Swallowable Capsule: the world’s first and only swallowable, procedureless* gastric balloon for weight loss.
The Allurion Swallowable Capsule is paired with the Allurion Virtual Care Suite, a remote patient monitoring solution powered by the Allurion Iris AI platform that includes the Allurion Mobile App, Connected Scale and Health Tracker.
Tracking Obesity in India
The recent National Family Health Survey (2019-21) found that obesity in India has increased from 21% to 24% among women and 19% to 23% among men between 2016 and 2021.
Unhealthy food habits, increasingly sedentary lifestyles and a lack of safe and effective treatments all have contributed to an increase in obesity, which can lead to serious consequences such as diabetes and heart disease.
- In approximately 16 weeks, people on the Allurion Program lose an average of 10-15% total body weight1and 95% of the weight loss is maintained at 1 year2
- Placement involves a 15-minute outpatient visit that can be done in complete privacy during a lunch break
- To be eligible for the Allurion Program, patients must have a BMI (body mass index) of at least 27
- The Allurion Program is partially reimbursed by health insurance in India, making it an accessible solution for millions of people. Over 100,000 patients in more than 50 countries have been treated with the Allurion Swallowable Capsule. Also, Allurion delivers weight loss, weight maintenance and type 2 diabetes remission3
The Allurion Program is suited for people who are unable to achieve their weight-loss goals by dieting alone or for those who do not want to, or cannot, undergo invasive surgery or endoscopy*. It may also be suitable as a treatment for weight-related co-morbidities including diabetes, infertility, or cardiovascular disease.
In just a 15-minute clinic visit, the patient swallows the Allurion Swallowable Capsule – a safe and temporary vegan capsule that contains a deflated gastric balloon. Once in the stomach, a healthcare professional uses a catheter to inflate the balloon with 550ml of liquid – no surgery, endoscopy or anaesthesia is required.
A simple X-ray is used to ensure the balloon is in the right position. After placement, the balloon – roughly the size of a grapefruit – takes up space in the patient's stomach, creating a feeling of fullness and reducing food intake. The balloon reduces feelings of hunger, and in approximately 16 weeks, it automatically deflates and passes out of the body naturally.
Allurion is a global brand with a presence in over 58 countries. The Allurion Program has treated more than 100,000 patients and in partnership with 600 clinics worldwide, Allurion patients have collectively shed more than one million kilos.
Dr Shantanu Gaur, Founder and CEO of Allurion.
"As someone of Indian origin, India is a special market for Allurion. It is part of my personal mission to bring our revolutionary technology to India to help end obesity and diabetes,” says.
"Whether it is because they have a wedding coming up, have steadily put on weight due to a busy or stressful lifestyle, recently had a health scare, need to improve their fertility, or need to lose weight before an operation, the Allurion Program can be the answer for millions of patients throughout India," he adds.
At the heart of the Allurion Program is the Allurion’s Virtual Care Suite, which integrates the Allurion Mobile App, Connected Scale, and Health Tracker into a single “digital umbrella” to provide remote patient monitoring, telehealth and secure messaging with the care team.
The software platform is powered by artificial intelligence and machine learning to allow care teams to interact with their patients – and their data.
The Allurion Program can lead to 2.5 times more weight loss compared to diet or exercise alone. More importantly, it works to help patients make lifestyle changes that remain with them long after the balloon is gone.
Dr Mohit Bhandari
Founder and Director of Bariatric Surgery at Mohak Bariatrics and Robotics is a bariatric and endoscopic weight-loss surgeon, and a pioneer in offering the Allurion Program in India. “Obesity is on the rise in India with three out of every four urban Indians overweight. As one of the most experienced bariatric surgeons in the Asia Pacific region with 17,000 bariatric surgeries performed to date, I think that weight management needs to be normalized rather than stigmatized, and the Allurion Program is a positive step in that direction,” he says.
Dr Ram Chuttani
Chief Medical Officer and Founding Partner of Allurion, adds: "Allurion is committed to provide patients a best-in-class experience, and their safety is our top priority. Studies have confirmed the proven efficacy and safety4 of the Allurion Program, helping patients lose an average 10-15% of their body weight in approximately 16 weeks1.
Chief Commercial Officer of Allurion states: "Considering Allurion's success across markets – a result of the perfect match between the benefits delivered by our program and patient expectations – as well as the growing prevalence of obesity in India, we are confident of the potential for success with our program in the country, where our market research has shown that over a million obese people concerned and ready to act about their weight would consider Allurion."
Allurion is a trademark of Allurion Technologies, Inc. in the United States and countries around the world.
1. Ienca et al. Obes Surg. 2020 and Vantanasiri et al. Obes Surg 2020.
2. Ienca et al., Presented at TOS Obesity Week, 2020
3. Obes Surg. 2020; 20(9):3354-62 and Ienca et al. Obesity Week 2020 and 2021.
4. Ienca, R., Al Jarallah, M., Caballero, A., et al. The procedureless* Elipse gastric balloon program: Multicenter experience in 1770 consecutive patients. Obesity Surgery. 2020 (30):3354-3362.
* In rare cases, the Allurion Balloon require endoscopic or surgical intervention for removal.
+33 7 84 21 02 20 firstname.lastname@example.org
M. Deepak / Riti Ray
+91 9845076359 / +91 6366211732
Allurion named “Champion Partner” of the World Obesity Federation and official sponsor of World Obesity Day...
Allurion, a Global Leader in Weight Loss Technology, to Become Publicly Listed Through Business Combination...
Allurion Technologies’ training awarded World Obesity Federation SCOPE accreditation
- Allurion’s gold...
Company reports 444% revenue growth from 2018 to 2021 and has also been named as one of MedTech Outlook’s Top...
- The world’s first and only procedureless gastric balloon receives approval from Brazilian Health...
- Company launches the Allurion Iris™ Artificial Intelligence Platform and introduces Success Predictor, a...
Company announces approval of the Allurion Balloon in Canada, Mexico, Australia, and India where approximately...